Why should you care care about getting the best squirrel proof bird feeder? Well, squirrels can be a menace and if they will keep on feeding from your bird feeders and they will scare your birds away eventually. You definitely want to keep your birds and keep away squirrels but without causing them any harm. Not that squirrels are bad, but both won’t just exist together.
Except for Australia and Antarctica, squirrels are spread all over the world with about 200 known species of squirrels. The Eastern gray species is the most common squirrel in bird feeders.
It is active throughout the year and without proper squirrel proof techniques, this squirrel can be a pain in the neck.
As you mount or hang your bird feeders, be keen to keep them away from squirrel nests. If possible, hang them in the midst of your land or garden away from any structures.
With the many anti-squirrel bird feeders in the market to choose from, selecting the best anti squirrel bird feeder can be a little confusing, especially for first time buyers.
Our summary table below covers some top anti-squirrel bird feeders that users have found quite handy for feeding their birds and as well as keeping away birds’ enemies, the squirrels.
Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder Reviews 2017 – Comparison Table
|Bird Feeder||Dimensions||Feed capacity||Seed Ventilation||Construction|
|Brome Squirrel Buster 1057||22 x 8 x 8 inches||0.75 Quartz||Yes||Resin|
|Brome Squirrel Buster Classic||4x4x21 Inches||1.4 Quartz||Yes||Iron|
|Brome Squirrel Buster 1024||6x6x23 Inches||3 Quartz||-||Polycarbonate|
|Woodlink Bird Feeder||11.25 x 16 x 13.5 inches||7.1 Quartz||Yes||Steel|
|RoamWild Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder **BEST**||7.5 x 7.6 x 16.7 inches||1.11 Quartz||Yes||-|
Our review takes a closer look at six top Squirrel Proof Bird feeders in 2017. We have gone out of our way to pack it with information that we believe you’ll find worthwhile when making your selection if you haven’t already done so.
Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder 2017 Reviews – Best Models
The best squirrel proof bird feeder comes with an intergrated ventilation system to keep your seeds longer, and the Brome 1057 Squirrel Buster Standard Wild Bird Feeder comes with this functionality, in addition to stopping squirrels from feeding on seed meant for birds.
- Adjustable weight seed port closing mechanism
- Seed saver technology
- Easy to fill
- Easy to clean
- Squirrel proof
- Seed ventilation system
Bromes 1057 Squirrel Buster Standard Wild Bird Feeder is easy to use, clean and fill with grain and because your grain needs ventilation, this unit comes integrated with a seed ventilation system to provide proper ventilation for seeds keeping them fresh and dry.
Birds are known to be pretty good seed wasters and sometimes bird keepers have no option but to account for this in their budgets.
Not with the Brome 1057 which comes with seed saver technology, that eliminates waste of seeds so no more unnecessary extra expense.This unit has adjustable weight technology that closes seed ports when too many birds perch on it or a squirrel tries to feed from it.
What’s more, a warranty is in order for when per chance, you will need to make claims in case of any defects.
If you are looking for a reliable and easy to maintain feeder, Brome 1057 Squirrel Buster Standard Wild Bird Feeder makes the best option.
2. Brome Squirrel Buster Classic
If you are looking for an anti-squirrel bird feeder that takes into account every factor to block off squirrels from your bird feeder, then this one it is. It is designed with a no-grip tube so squirrels will have trouble getting a firm grip on it.
In addition, it is designed in such a way that any squirrel weight will close up its pores so it will have no access to the seeds. So without any harm, the Brome Squirrel Buster Classic successfully beckons off squirrels yet still attracting birds.
- Holds up to 1.4 quarts of bird feed
- Measures 4 by 4 by 21 inches
- Attracts a wide variety of clinging birds
- Blocks squirrels; weight of squirrel closes the seed ports
- No grip tube design for added protection
- The feeder can be placed anywhere
Brome Squirrel Buster Classic is the best feeder for a variety of birds since it attracts different perching birds. Be sure that squirrels, after trying their luck with your seeds, will get discouraged and simply go because this unit is designed in a way that the animals themselves block the seed ports.
The non-grip tube feature makes it impossible for squirrels to hang on the pipe as they feed on the seeds and this is a feature you will certainly appreciate.
Brome Squirrel Buster Classic is easy to use and can be placed anywhere. It has a feed capacity of 1.4 quarts hence you don’t need to keep refilling your feed tray every now and then.
If you love variety, then by all means go for Brome Squirrel Buster Classic because it is designed to attract different clinging birds.
For a medium sized bird feeder, this unit is definitely recommended.
3. Brome 1024 Squirrel Buster plus Wild Bird Feeder
Brome 1024 Squirrel Buster Plus Wild Bird Feeder with Cardinal Perch Ring measures 6 by 6 by 23 inches making it suitable for those who need a larger capacity unit for more birds.
The cardinal perch ring is a good attraction for variety birds so you can study and enjoy watching your birds as much as you want.
- Squirrel-proof bird feeder
- Holds up to 3 quarts of feed
- Adjustable weight settings
- Measures 6 by 6 by 23 inches
- Easy to fill and clean
- Attracts a variety of clinging birds
- Can be hanged anywhere
Measuring 6 by 6 by 23 inches Brome 1024 holds up to 3 quarts of feed and is suitable for hanging from just about any point.
It features adjustable weight settings to block out squirrels as well as control the number of birds that can feed from this feeder at any given time to put you more in charge of your pass time.
You need variety, you got variety of birds with the cardinal perch ring. What’s more, cleaning and refilling are a breeze.
A life time warranty is a sure guarantee that you got the best, apart from having you the option to get a replacement or refund. With its feed capacity and size, you will definitely be getting one of the best bird feeders squirrel proof.
4. Woodlink Absolute Squirrel Resistant Bird Feeder
Because assembling is the last hassle you will want to go through with a bird feeder, the Woodlink Bird Feeder Model 7533 comes fully assembled. Simply take off the packaging, fill it with seed, and hang it out for birds and you are good to go. A metal hanger and pole coupled with mounting hardware gives you hanging options.
- Durable powder coated steel body
- Squirrel weight closes feed ports
- Locking top
- Seed saver baffle minimizing waste
- Seed level indicator window
- Large 15lb mixed seed capacity
- Hang or mount; includes metal hangar and a pole with mounting hardware
- Easy to clean and fill
- Comes fully assembled
Woodlink Absolute Bird Feeder Model 7533 is made of durable powder coated steel body to extend its useful life while also making it impossible for squirrels to chew their way in to the feeders.
It also comes with both a metal hangar and 5ft pole with mounting hardware for flexible placement options; you can either mount or hang it anywhere.
It comes with a three step adjustable perch that holds up weight to three positions for light, medium, and heavy weight but definitely not squirrel weight. Like the others, this unit closes feeding ports when mounted by a squirrel.
A large feed capacity and seed saver baffle makes your refilling trips lesser and at the same time reducing waste and a locking top is a convenient offering you’ll appreciate when refilling and maintaining.
Since it comes assembled for ready use, you can be sure you’ll have a breeze making it work for you.
If you are looking for a ready-made, mount and fill seed saving feeder, Woodlink Absolute Squirrel Resistant Bird Feeder Model 7533 is your feeder of choice.
5. Roamwild PestOff Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder **BEST MODEL**
Roamwild PestOff Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder is ideal for feeding sunflower hearts and other mixed seeds feed. If you are looking for a unit that goes beyond blocking squirrel to block pests too from accessing seeds for birds, then this one makes a good option.
- 100% pest and squirrel proof
- Built in weather guard to keep the seeds fresh and dry thus preventing seed clogging
- Has individual spring loaded perches hence does not close its seed ports when too many birds perch on it
- Easy to fill and clean
- Seed capacity of 1.11 quarts
- Ideal for feeding sunflower hearts
Roamwild PestOff Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder all metal design guarantees 100% squirrel and pests proof. It has a weather guard that keeps seed fresh and dry as well as preventing seed clogging and pest infestation. This ensures that your birds are feeding on good quality seeds.
In addition, it comes built with an individual nonadjustable spring perch which, unlike other feeders, prevents feeding ports from closing when too many birds try to feed from it at the same time.
A simple to open to fill lid that clicks apart when cleaning makes its operation a lot easier compared to others. With its 1.11 quarts feeding capacity you only need to fill it once and the feed will be sufficient for all birds the entire day.
For a squirrel proof feeder that works, try Roamwild PestOff Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder Mixed Seed Sunflower Heart Version for best results.
6. Perky-Pet 338 Squirrel Be Gone II Country House
Just as its name suggest, this unit is perfect for the spacious yet windy countryside environment. It comes with a galvanized roof to protect birds from sunny or rainy weather. The Perky-Pet 338 Squirrel Be Gone II Country House comes in a bright red color, a galvanized roof, and the flexibility of hanging or mounting on a pole. This, along with the following features makes this model one of the top squirrel zapper bird feeders.
- Hang or mount on a pole
- Red color with galvanized roof and weathervane
- Adjustable spring allows for custom settings to block out smaller squirrels or larger birds
- Removable roof peak top make it easy to fill
Perky-Pet 338 Squirrel Be Gone II Country House with Weathervane has a removable roof peak making it easy to fill. Its adjustable springs lets you custom set it to block out even the smaller size squirrels and large birds
An attractive yet functional design is just what any bird watcher would look for in a feeder. It is red in color with a galvanized roof and cardinal weathervane for all weather.
Scaring away squirrels remains the biggest challenge even with modern squirrel proof bird feeders. You will steel need to work on getting the best available spots to place your feeders.
The best spots should be at least 8 ft away from any branch, wall, or any other structure that a squirrel can use to climb to the feeders.
If you enjoy watching birds, you definitely need to invest in the best bird feeders. Squirrel proof feeder reviews are a great source of valuable information, although sometimes you may want to confirm that your reviews source is credible.
Keep a keen eye on durability, attractiveness to birds, and warranty features before you make your purchase.
Our top pick goes to the Roamwild PestOff Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder Mixed Seed Sunflower Heart Version obviously because of its unique functionalities like pest and squirrel proof, a weather guard for seed preservation, and unique spring loaded perches.
Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder Buyer’s Guide
Bird feeder designs have continuously evolved from simple open feeders to the more complex designs. This can be attributed to unrelenting efforts to keep at bay seed eaters like squirrels and pests. Birds are generally gentle and cannot really compete with squirrels over feed.
Instead, they will slowly retreat from that feeding site and look for another site, and this is obviously to the disadvantage of any bird watcher.
This is why anti-squirrel bird feeder comes in handy. Once the challenge of squirrels and pests is taken care of, you can worry about other more important problems surrounding your birds.
There are numerous designs in the market and you have to be cautious if you have to choose the perfect feeder for your birds. Here is what you need to know before selecting the best anti squirrel bird feeder.
Types of Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
- Weight Responsive Feeders – These feeders respond to weight changes and close their feeding ports when the weight on the feeder exceeds that of a normal bird. It’s a good way to keep squirrels off your seeds since they will not be able to feed with ports closed.
- Individual Spring Loaded Feeding Perches – These feeders have individual perches that spring out for a bird to perch on. If a squirrel tries to hold itself on these perches, it simply falls off as the perches are designed to hold minimal bird weight.
- Cage Style Squirrel Feeder – These feeders have a simple cage put around the feeders with spaces big enough to let birds in but too small for squirrels to pass through.
- Chew Proof Feeders – Sometimes squirrels have a way of chewing their way in to feeders. Chew proof feeders are made of hard material possibly steel to keep away squirrels.
- Squirrel Sapper Feeders – Sapper feeders have a press button which you can use to shock squirrels away. It barely harms the squirrel but you need to keep a constant eye on your feeders.
- Electronic Spinning Feeders – As controversial as they maybe, they are effective in scaring away squirrels. A small motor is attached on the feeder and it starts to spin when squirrel weight is detected.
- Rolling Feeders – On detection of squirrel weight, these feeders will roll, dumping off the squirrel.
Importance of Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
So it seems, that every substantial effort spent on bird watching, is towards keeping squirrels away. Aren’t there other challenges? Of course, there are but because we wanted to explore ‘the squirrel challenge’, we narrowed our research.
Here are some important reasons why you need to invest in a good squirrel proof bird feeder.
- Lock out squirrels from feeding on your seeds
Squirrels are active throughout the year hence constantly looking for seeds to feed on. If they gain access to your bird feeders, you may spend much more feeding both the squirrels and the birds or end up losing the birds when there is no more seed for them to feed on.
- Saves you money
The money you would spend feeding your birds and the squirrels is a lot more compared to feeding birds alone. You do not want to spend so much to feed wild animals capable of fending food for themselves.
- Squirrels can chase away your birds
Birds soon become wary of constant interruption from squirrels and as it is, they would rather keep off than compete with them. Remedy here is to keep the squirrels off rather than the birds. After all it’s the birds you are after.
- Squirrels will destroy your bird feeders
If your bird feeders are not made of strong material, Squirrels will chew their way through the feeders destroying them. This means that you will be replacing your feeders from time to time. To keep away the squirrels, you can buy feeders made of steel.
Essential Accessories of a Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
While some feeders come as a full set, most do not which means that you may have to buy some other accessories for better performance. These accessories are meant to make your work a lot easier. If you need feeders that work better, accessories are a good idea. They can also be custom made to your advantage.
- Poles – Allow you to mount your bird feeders anywhere. You simply erect the pole and hang your feeders on it. It is recommended to have one pole for each feeder since you do not want your birds crowding in one place to feed.
- Hangar – It’s used to hang your feeder on a wall, tree, or pole. Each feeder should have its own hangar since it’s impossible to use one hangar for multiple feeders.
- Baffles – These are conical shaped and can be placed above or below your feeders to stop squirrels from climbing the pole or tubes to reach your feeders. You can have as many as you like on each pole as long as they get the work done.
- Mesh cage – Used to protect your normal feeders from squirrel attack. They have small spaces enough for birds only. They can come designed with the bird feeders but mostly they are sold separately. You can custom make your mesh cages to fit more than one feeder if they are closely placed. However, in most cases you should have one feeder per cage.
Factors to Consider when Selecting a Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
- Placement – the location of your feeder depends on several factors. These include
Proximity – you want to position the feeder in an easy to reach location so that your feeding the birds is not limited by conditions like bad weather.
Birds’ and feeding mess – you may want to consider a place where such mess won’t be a problem.
View – A location from which you can conveniently view birds
Attractiveness – you want a location that will attract birds faster and give them visible shelter during bad weather.
Traffic/ Noise levels– Birds will shy away from high traffic areas with humans, dogs as well as other animals and a lot of activities going on.
Durability – while there may be tough materials that a squirrel cannot possibly chew into, a lot more goes into durability. This includes proper care and weather conditions.
Ventilation – seeds need to be dry for them to be healthy for birds. Some feeders will come with ventilation features to preserve seeds while still on the other hand you may want to invest in a seed tray to act as a landing base for dropped seeds.
Ease of Cleaning and Maintenance – select a feeder whose design eases its cleaning process. Feeders that are not regularly maintained become damp with droppings creating an unsafe environment for the birds.
Capacity – the capacity of your feeder will be determined by the type of birds you want to attract. For instance, while hummingbirds may not need a large feeder, the same feeder may not be appropriate for finches.
Quick Operation and Maintenance tips
- Open high traffic areas are not the best locations for bird feeders because birds tend to shy away from disturbance. Instead, choose a location near bushes, trees, or other outdoor structures that will give birds an escape from predators and bad weather.
- Feeder height from the ground really counts for attracting birds. A recommended height is 5-feet to 8-feet, which is slightly above the average human height.
- The best squirrel proof bird feeder incorporates some extras if you will want to attract more birds, perhaps more than your neighbor. Try some water for splash and for drink along with their favorite seeds. If possible, woo them during winter with moderately heated birdbaths and they will literally refuse to leave your space.
- Patience is the rule of thumb here. For a new feeder or an old feeder you have replaced, give your birds at least 2-4 weeks to notice the newness or difference if this is the case. Otherwise, if you change your feeder location too soon you may end up not having birds at all.
- Although this may not be a tried and tested trick, those that have applied it think it works perfectly well. Try placing a shiny foil somewhere next to the feeder to attract birds faster. As it seems, birds may just have an eye for shiny stuff.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why have birds suddenly abandoned my feeder?
There are several answers to this question. You may pick one that you feel is ideal for you.
- Too many squirrels or predators
- Unhygienic conditions meaning that it’s time to clean
- The type of seeds/ feed you are providing is not ideal for them. For all we know they could have flown off to your neighbor’s feeder because he provides their favorite.
Since I placed my bird feeder, I haven’t noticed any birds near it. What could be the problem?
You need to exercise patience, if four weeks have not already elapsed. On the other hand if your feeder has been there for over a month then you will need to reconsider its placement.
Could be the birds are not comfortable where you placed the feeder. Birds can be overly sensitive to environment. Try a little more natural environment.
Which feeder construction makes the best squirrel proof bird feeder?
Ideally, a feeder can be constructed from just about any material, even plastic bottles (watch tutorial below)
Which are the best seeds to provide for birds in the feeder?
Birds adore sunflower seeds, however you could try this bird feed mix for better results.
15-20% black oil sunflower seeds
65 – 70% sunflower hearts
10% safflower seed
5% peanut parts
You can blend in what you have available of the above mentioned, and balance it to achieve a 100% feed mix with at least two types of seed.
How often should I clean the bird feeder?
Ideally, for light cleaning a monthly or bi-monthly schedule should suffice but for the once-in-a-while thorough cleaning and maintenance, a twice a year schedule will be great.
Do it Yourself Bird Feeder
If you’re a do it yourself kind of person and want to make a wild bird feeders squirrel proof–good news! This YouTube tutorial will teach you step by step how to make a bird feeder yourself from a plastic bottle.
Anti-squirrel bird feeders are must have for any enthusiast who wants to have a great time watching birds. As birds love undisturbed natural environment, the best squirrel proof bird feeder helps keep squirrels at bay so that you will not need to run up and down chasing away squirrels.
A good anti squirrel bird feeder will also shield your bird feed against pest infestation. If you notice any squirrel nest around your house, destroy it to drive the squirrels away.
It is also helpful to select a good spot to mount your feeders.
Good spots are far away from squirrel nest and any climbing structures. You can limit or stop any squirrel interference by incorporating some of the accessories mentioned above.
Buy a feeder according to the number of birds you want around and their size. It is advisable to have multiple feeders even for a small number of birds to avoid overcrowding on few feeders.
All in all, after these handy tips, what remains is to enjoy your time in your little wild.
Oliver is my name. Passionate about gardens, home improvement, diy, and a lot of interesting thing.
Wonderland Gardens is my family's project - here we review the best gardening and home improvement products that will help people achieve the home of their dreams.
Latest posts by Oliver (see all)
- Best Snow Shovel Reviews in 2017 – Winter is Coming! - May 24, 2017
- Toro Snow Blower Reviews – Top 3 Models – Must READ - May 22, 2017
- Cub Cadet Snow Blower Reviews in 2017 – Winter is Coming! - May 20, 2017