Wonder How Does a Leaf Blower Work? Here’s How:
A leaf blower is an essential part of your yard’s clearance toolset. It uses air pressure to blow dried leaves or dried grass clippings on your lawn in a pile for collection or composting.
In case you are considering a tool for the purpose of mulching however, a mulching mower is the most ideal as it will suck up grass clippings, shred them finely and pack them up in leaf bags for use later.
Again, don’t just do away with your manual rake. It still has a place in the yard for small-scale and small-space clearance. The leaf blower on the other hand is a handy tool when there is so much clearance to be done in little time and more conveniently especially during fall when as you would expect there will be too many leaves and twigs falling off the ground.
There are several types of leaf blowers; backpack leaf blowers, walk behind, hand held, electric corded, electric cordless, and gas leaf blowers yet all of them use more or less the same concept in their operation.
A leaf blower is typically made up of 4 major parts;
- The housing
- Fan (with blades)
- How they Work
- The blower’s housing encloses a motor. When the motor is turned on, it powers the fan which spins and draws in air from the outside, forcing it into the tube.
- Because the tube has a small opening, pressure builds when air is forced through it and this is what is known as centrifugal force.
- The pressured air then passes through the tube to exit from the opposite end directed to the leaves. From this point, it is released still with the same pressure as high as 250 mph and this force is what blows leaves to the desired direction.
- The difference in pressure from different leaf blowers is based on their sources of power. Typically, gas powered leaf blowers have the ability to generate the strongest air pressure and are usually used in commercial settings. However, they are a bit louder. Electric leaf blowers both cordless and corded come in second but they are more silent and agreeably comfortable to work with particularly for residential purposes. They are also quite light in weight.
For leaf blowers to work effectively and safely, you need to keep the following handy tips in mind:
- Check your blower each time before using it to make sure all its parts are in good working condition
- Point the nozzle of the blower towards the direction of the wind
- Never point the blower towards bystanders or pets around
- Always start with your nozzle close enough to the ground and lift it gradually to make sure not much dust is produced
It is easier and more efficient to start from the edges of your lawn towards the center. If your yard is large, break it up into sections and for each section still work from the edge towards the center. Tarps are great accessories for blocking off leaves, grass clippings and debris as you blow making it easier to gather them in a pile.
These handy units are essential for clearing your yard only if they are used as recommended by the manufacturer. Eye and ear protection will also go along way to protect you from the dust and noise produced by the leaf blower.
Meet the Author
Greetings, I'm Oliver! My love for garden and DIY projects started since I was in my twenties. Wonderland Gardens is my 'digital land' where I talk about everything garden and home improvement.Learn more
- Airless Paint Sprayers (1)
- Axes (1)
- Backpack Leaf Blowers (1)
- Bee suits (1)
- Bird Feeders (1)
- Chainsaw Sharpeners (1)
- Chainsaws (4)
- Chipper Shredders (1)
- Cordless Leaf Blowers (1)
- Garden & Home Tools (24)
- Garden Accessories (9)
- Garden hoses (4)
- Garden Improvement (11)
- Gas Leaf Blowers (1)
- Gutter Guards (1)
- Home Improvement (26)
- Hummingbird Feeders (1)
- Lawn Edgers (1)
- Lawn Mowers (6)
- Lawn Mowers Batteries (1)
- Lawn Sweepers (1)
- Leaf Blowers (2)
- Patio Heaters (1)
- Plasma Cutters (1)
- Pocket Hose (1)
- Pole Saws (1)
- Smokers (2)
- Snow Blowers (12)
- Tile Saws (1)
- Uncategorized (3)
- Wood Routers (1)
- Zero Turn Lawn Mowers (2)
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!