- 1 Best Splitting Mauls – Comparison Table
- 2 Best Splitting Maul on The Market – Reviews
- 3 1. HUSQVARNA Splitting Maul
- 4 2. Husqvarna Outdoor Power Equipment Large wood splitting
- 5 3. Estwing EFF4SE 4-Pound Special Edition
- 6 4. Estwing E3-FF4 4-Pound
- 7 5. Estwing E44ASE 16-Inch Special Edition **BEST**
- 8 6. Fiskars X15 Chopping Axe, 23.5-Inch
- 9 7. Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter
- 10 Best Splitting Maul: BUYERS’ GUIDE
- 10.1 Types of Splitting Maul
- 10.2 Why have a Splitting Maul
- 10.3 Essential Accessories of a Splitting Maul
- 10.4 Operation and Maintenance Tips
- 10.5 Here are more general operating and maintenance tips for a maul:
- 10.6 Factors to Consider When Selecting a Splitting Maul
- 10.7 Frequently Asked Questions about Splitting Mauls
- 10.8 Conclusion
Only those in extremely chilly areas understand the need for a constant supply of wood at home, and how unbearable it can be when the harsh cold bites underneath the skin.
It is during this moment that the last hassle you would want is splitting wood with a poor quality axe.
Owning the best splitting maul for your intended purpose is without doubt a necessity more than a convenience.
The most ideal splitting maul, may not be the easiest to find. You may find yourself scoring over splitting mauls reviews upon reviews without much success.
However, in this article we have packed not only the best rated wood splitting mauls but also an informative guide to but also an informative guide to make it easier for you to decide.
Today, we go out of our way to pack this review with the most noteworthy information you will need for that desired one-time investment.
We have also compiled a quick-scan summary table that will help you compare and contrast these best rated wood splitting mauls in the market when you need to make an informed choice.
No need for hassle over scores of splitting mauls reviews and thousands of products in the market, here is to a simpler comparison of the best there is.
Best Splitting Mauls – Comparison Table
|Splitting Maul||Overall Weight||Handle Material||Handle length|
|HUSQVARNA Splitting Maul||7.2lbs||Raw wood||32 inch|
|HUSQVARNA Outdoor Power Equipment||3.3lbs||Raw Wood||30 inch|
|ESTWING E44ASE||2.9lbs||Nylon Vinyl||12inches|
|FISKARS X15||3.2lbs||FiberComp||23.5 inches|
Best Splitting Maul on The Market – Reviews
1. HUSQVARNA Splitting Maul
If you are looking for a tough-boy for your tough chunks of wood or logs, then here is one top wood chopping axe.
The HUSQVARNA Splitting Maul gives you a great grip with its well aligned handle grain and sure does a good job splitting those stubborn stumps and logs with its sharp sturdy head.
• Weighs 7.2 pounds
• 6-pound maul head
• Comes with a leather sheath
• Raw wood handle
You will definitely love an axe that gives you the freedom to give it a deserving outlook. The HUSQVARNA splitting maul comes with a raw wood handle giving you the chance to give it your desired finish.
A greater advantage is that it is quite sturdy and well built for tough jobs. With a sharp 6-pound head, you are guaranteed of an effortless split through.
Though it comes with a 32-inch handle, which is by the standards of most American axes shorter, you will be surprised at how efficiently it does the job.
An appreciable safety add-on is its leather sheath so you will have a firm grip while swinging your axe in and out of your log.
2. Husqvarna Outdoor Power Equipment Large wood splittingAt a glance, you’ll notice that this wood splitting maul comes in a conventional design that will definitely charm lovers of this style.
The true value of any wood splitting tool is in its utility and the Husqvarna sure offers great functionality. Don’t be mistaken by its light weight. This is the tool for those who desire a quick lighter task.
• Weighs 3.3 pounds
• Measures 30 inches
• Traditional design
This axe weighs only 3.3 lbs which means you don’t have to break a sweat to split your wood. While notion has it that the best splitting maul axe needs to be heavy enough to cut through wood, this one beats the odds.
As light as it is, it is still bears ample power to cut through large wood.
Along with that comes a leather sheath to enable you swing your axe back and forth without slipping. The axe head features a premium Swedish steel for durability.
Husqvarna is one of the largest trusted companies when it comes to the best rated wood splitting mauls and it has not disappointed with this one either.
3. Estwing EFF4SE 4-Pound Special EditionIn my honest opinion, this is the best axe for cutting wood that you’ll find on Amazon. The 36-inch splitting maul is great for taller people intending to tackle some serious forest tasks.
Virtually unbreakable, this splitting maul is a lifetime purchase that will certainly go a long way to ease your chopping.
• 1 piece axe (joined head and handle)
• Shock reduction leather grip
• 2-3/8 –inch cutting edge
• Weighs 4lbs
The Estwing EFF4SE is one tough axe that you can depend on to give you years of useful service. Although very unlikely, if it breaks, you benefit from lifetime warranty, so there is absolutely no risk involved.
A tough 2-3/8 inch cutting edge with an ability to deliver fast clean cuts thanks to its sharpness makes this axe quite an asset for any wood chopping enthusiast.
Its blade, to its advantage, makes use of the best current technology to provide strong power at impact. In addition, a low friction surface makes it quite easy to cut through just any log or stump.
What’s more, this splitting maul’s modern design distributes most of the weight in the axe’s head to provide a great balance.
All in all, this splitting maul has more than 30,000 reviews on Amazon, and for the budget-friendly price, it’s the best splitting maul found on the market.
4. Estwing E3-FF4 4-Pound
If your shorter height bothers you with most of the splitting axes available in the market, the Estwing E3-FF4 will do you some justice.
It is the best splitting maul available for shorter people and comes with a shock reduction grip which is quite necessary if you suffer from some wrist problems.
• 1 piece construction
• Genuine stacked leather grip
• 2-3/8 –inch cutting edge
• Weighs 4lbs
A great lightweight but tough axe is a feature any patriot would look for in a splitting axe. This unit weighs only 4lbs, allowing you to work through longer periods of time without straining your muscles.
It is forged in one piece–no more worrying about the axe head detaching and posing danger to you and the people near you, plus it is rather cumbersome if you have to keep fixing back a detached axe head while working.
The axe head is solid steel, very sharp, and finished with a matte black coat. This makes it tough enough to split through tough stumps and logs with a breeze. The grip is made of genuine leather, providing both comfort and luxury at the same time.
5. Estwing E44ASE 16-Inch Special Edition **BEST**Estwing E44ASE is an incredible axe for the price. The 16-inch splitting maul is ideal for splitting wood, trimming trees, notching timbers and much more. It is quite a lightweight, at only 2.9 pounds.
• Forged steel head with Estwing’s patented Shock Reduction Grip
• 4-inch cutting edge
• Shock reduction grip handle reduces shock by up to 70%
• comes with heavy-duty nylon sheath
• 16 inch height
Campers will agree with that for faster clearance of a camping site, this unit comes in handy. Among the many useful features it has, its length and lightweight vouch for its efficiency.
Its 4-inch cutting edge is a feature to behold. If your garden needs some chopping, splitting, or reshaping of wood this unit makes an ideal. For a one-time quality purchase, you will not regret selecting the Estwing E44ASE special edition.
6. Fiskars X15 Chopping Axe, 23.5-InchFiskar Chopping Axe is a solid hombre of 23.5 inches and 3.2 pounds. The blade is designed using the latest blade geometry, rendering an ultra-sharp edge which is unbreakable.
This maximizes its performance for that great working experience making it the best axe for cutting wood.
• 23.5 inch handle
• Heavy duty, ideal axe for felling trees
• Precise balance and power-to-weight ratio for increased speed and more power
• Shock absorbing fiberComp handle
• Lightweight at 3.2 pounds but tougher than steel for elimination of overstrike damage
Perhaps the greatest offering of this X-Series axe, is the fact that it has an excellent weight distribution in addition to advanced blade geometry. Its toughness makes it a preference among tree fellers.
Its sharp blade allows for deep penetrations with each swing for a faster and effortless completion of any task.
The handle is made of shock-absorbing FiberComp, rendering it lightweight yet it’s strong enough not to cause overstrike damage. All in one, this splitting maul is especially effective for cutting falling trees.
Accessories for axes:
7. Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling SplitterSome people shiver at the thought of wood splitting accidents. This shouldn’t rid you of all the wood splitting adventure that comes with Christmas.
You will need the right accessories for making your tasks easier, safer, and much more fun. A wood splitter works by placing wood inside the iron safety ring and hitting it with either another piece of wood, mallet, or hammer.
As far as safety is concerned, a wood splitter will come in handy especially when handling tough splints or stumps.
• Less force required to split wood
• 6.5 inches inner diameter top ring
• Less maintenance
• Premium cast iron
• Made in Australia
• Easy and safe to use
Since no sharp tools are involved, chances of hurting yourself are minimal and the results are more or less the same; split wood.
It is certainly much easy to split wood this way compared to using an axe. Less effort is required and it takes very little time to get the job done.
The Kindling cracker is constructed using cast iron from New Zealand and requires less maintenance. The blades don’t have to be sharp to split through wood hence no sharpening is required either.
Another reason to have this at home is you don’t have to go out into the cold to split your wood as it can be used both indoor and outdoor.
This makes it ideal even for a school campfire. Students can use it with ease without worrying about injuring themselves.
Surprisingly, this amazing discovery began as a science fair project but ended up winning awards and gaining popularity all over.
Of all the best rated wood splitting mauls, there is always the best of the best. Today our best pick goes to Estwing E44ASE 16-Inch Special Edition obviously for its toughness and versatility features which make it an asset and a necessity too.
By now you have known how essential the right splitting maul is for any wood splitting task. We have also gone a step to ease your selection process, so what’s left is to acquire one for your garden, camping escapades, or other outdoor activities that matter to you.
Remember, if you are the adventurous type, you will need a lightweight to add to your adventure. You don’t want a maul you’ll drag along and finally dump in your garage for another.
Best Splitting Maul: BUYERS’ GUIDE
Do you ever have a hard time trying to split wood? That’s probably because you are using the wrong splitting tool.
People imagine that any axe is good enough for splitting wood yet this is a gross assumption. The best splitting maul ever will let you split big logs of wood along the grains without wasting any pieces.
Because splitting mauls come in different varieties and sizes, it will be worthwhile to take your time on thorough research before selecting the right tool for the job.
Splitting mauls make a great addition to the toolset of professionals such as preppers or bush crafters, home owners or camping enthusiasts alike.
For these reasons, it is important to select the right maul depending on what purposes you intend it to serve.
Types of Splitting Maul
1. Wedged mauls – These are the more traditional mauls with wide, blunt wedge shaped cutting surfaces. This type of surface allows the maul to go deep enough in to the wood for an effective split.
The current modern designs have employed a conical shape for these mauls’ design alongside swiveling sub wedge mauls.
2. Powered log splitters – These are hydraulic log splitters either vertical or horizontal, used for commercial purposes.
They contain an electric rod and piston with pressure ratings depending on the amount of force they generate. Generally, higher ratings denote that the maul can be used to split longer or thicker wood.
3. Separate wedges – Separate wedges allow the splitting head to be removed from the handle and using a hammer, separate wedges can be used to split wood.
Usually, this is more common when splitting large wood since several wedges can be used at the same time. The hammer is mostly a wooden mallet instead of an iron hammer to prevent damage on the head of the wedge.
Why have a Splitting Maul
Unlike other axes, splitting mauls are specifically designed for wood splitting purposes. Its light weight design and width makes it less likely to stick into wood while its handle is well designed for proper leveling and swinging.
These features are what counts for top log splitting mauls, making it more efficient in wood splitting, compared to other axes.
As a result, wood is sufficiently split without leaving any waste chips behind. Because it takes longer for large wood to dry, splitting wood helps wood dry faster.
Therefore a splitting maul is must have tool for anyone intending to dry their wood for firewood.
By splitting large chunks of wood into smaller pieces, air held within logs escapes faster leaving your wood dry and ready for use.
Splitting mauls are some of the best axes for splitting wood especially for those who live in the countryside who use firewood regularly.
Essential Accessories of a Splitting Maul
There are several designs of splitting mauls each with its unique accessories. However, the basic splitting mauls accessories include:
1. Handle – This is an important part of the maul since it determines how effective the maul splits through wood. The handle can be steel, wood, or fiberglass.
However, most people prefer wooden handles as they absorb shock better and are much easier to replace. Fiberglass handles are also commonly used due to their light weight design and durability.
The function of the handle is to direct the wedge to the ground after a swing. The best way to determine the best handle length is to measure it against your arm length.
It should be a bit longer than your arm length for easy leveling and swing.
2. Head – A good splitting maul head is wide and wedge shaped. It is blunt and not sharp, and includes a round broad rear part to hammer in the split after the initial strike.
The reason why the head is blunt is to prevent your maul from going through the wood and into other surfaces can potentially damage it.
A maul should simply separate the wood into two; the blunt edge creates a crack on the wood and the wedge shaped head goes in to the crack forcing it open and splitting the wood in to two separate parts.
3. Hammer – Hammers are useful for splitting mauls with detachable heads. The most preferred hammers are wooden mallets, as they do not cause harm on the maul head.
For long pieces of wood, you can use several heads and the hammer for a split.
Operation and Maintenance Tips
Most mauls are safe to use and are designed to last a long time. This may not always be the case since some are in appropriately used leading to damages and accidents that could otherwise have been avoided.
In order to operate the maul properly, stand on one end of the splitting base, place your log on the splitting base in an upward position, raise your maul, and with adequate force strike the log along the cracked parts.
This should split the log should split into two parts. In case the maul gets stuck in the log, lift the maul together with the log and strike against the splitting surface. This is sometimes referred to as full-lift.
To prevent the maul from sticking on wood, store the wood in cold places as the cold temperature makes its fibers easy to break.
For logs of large diameters, try splitting the log into more than two pieces. Have multiple swings each splitting a small section of the log until the remaining piece is small enough to be split into two.
Here are more general operating and maintenance tips for a maul:• Use your splitting maul for wood splitting only and nothing else.
• Always wear protective gear such as closed shoes, hand gloves, and protective goggles while using the maul. This protects you from injuring yourself.
• Do not let children assemble or operate the splitting maul. Adults using the maul should have some knowledge of how to use the maul before operating it.
• Use your splitting maul on flat surfaces. Surfaces covered in ice, mud, or rocks tend to damage your maul edges.
• Immediately replace and repair broken handles, heads, or hammers in case of damages. This prevents more damage to other parts of the maul.
• Keep your working area clean and do not leave either the maul or split wood lying around. This is a safety precaution towards curbing avoidable accidents.
• Avoid wearing lose or hanging clothes or jewelry while operating the maul. This can be tangled with the maul causing accidents.
• Be keen to not to miss the log since the maul handle is likely to bounce back or break.
Factors to Consider When Selecting a Splitting Maul
• The weight of the maul – for ease of handling go for light weight maul. However, if you are handling heavy duty tasks, select a weight that matches the application you intend to put the maul into.
• Profile of the maul – Splitting goes through the grain hence, the profile should be wide and wedge shaped to split the log into two different pieces along the grain. Wide diameter logs will definitely require a wider blade and wedge for efficiency.
• Cutting edge – the best splitting mauls usually have a rounded cutting edge to minimize the area in contact with the wood for that fine split.
• Handle material – wood handles are preferred over metal handles as they are better shock absorbers and can easily be replaced. Fiberglass handles are lighter and durable as compared to wooden handles but need keen maintenance and handling.
• Handle length – a longer straight handle allows you to maul deeper into the wood with the first split. However, long is relative to the arm length of the user. This is the main reason why handle lengths vary.
Frequently Asked Questions about Splitting Mauls
Are the handles replaceable when they get damaged?
Depending on the handle material, damages can be repaired but this should be done by an expert. The best thing to do is to return the maul where you bought it and have it fixed there.
What is the difference between a splitting axe and maul?
A splitting axe is smaller than a maul and used to split small logs of wood. A maul is used to split large logs. Again, the axe is lighter than a maul and has a short handle. Fore more information, read this article about splitting mauls and axes.
How do I decide on which handle length is best for me?
That Depends on your height and the purpose you need a maul for. Ideally, a good handle length should enable you to swing and level your maul effortlessly.
Do I need to buy both the maul and splitting axe?
A maul is versatile and can be used on both small and large logs. However, a splitting axe can only be used on small logs. Therefore, if you have a splitting maul, you may not need a splitting axe.
What is the best splitting axe handle material?
Handles can be made of wood, steel, or fiberglass. Wood and fiberglass are most preferred since they absorb shock better.
Fiber glass is lighter and more durable compared to wooden handle but wooden handles tend to be more popular perhaps because of their simplicity.
The best way to decide is to test mauls with fiber glass and wood handles and select that which works better for you.
Splitting wood need not be a toll order activity. In fact, it can be a good way to unwind and relax after a long day. With the right splitting maul, you can easily split your wood into smaller pieces to allow them to dry faster.
Always read the manufacturers manual before assembling and using the maul for your own safety. For any repairs and replacements, use approved manufacturer parts, and have a professional do your repairs.
Splitting mauls are essential tools to have at home and with proper use and maintenance, they can give you years of service guaranteeing you a continuous supply of firewood.
Are you set to have the best splitting maul? You know best!