Best Lawn Mower for Hills Reviews in 2017 – Must READ
Flat lawns are very common and perhaps standard in every sense of their appearance. However, gentle slopes or winds have a way of adding aesthetic worth to your lawn by breaking the monotony created by a flatness or evenness.
But with the majestic sight comes mowing challenges. With most of the mowers in the market oriented for even terrains, it may be a bit difficult picking the best lawn mower for hills particularly the right one for your exact slope.
Smaller yards typically range between a 10 and 15 degrees slope. While this is not exactly steep, mowing up the hill will be a taxing task unless you have the right mower for the job. If you have a smaller sized yard, a self propelled mower rather than a push mower may be the most ideal, unless you are ready to expend some energy.
For slopes steeper than 15 degrees, a front steering tractor may be most ideal compared to a zero-turn radius riding mower especially for larger sized yards. However, if you have to use a zero-turn radius, always use it on dry grass for better traction. With a rider or tractor, it is better to mow straight up and down the slope.
Overall the best way to mow on hills is to start at the bottom and work uphill. In our mower for steep hills review, we picked five of the best lawn mowers for hills from 4 different categories, with the best hill-mowing user experience.
Comparison Table of the Features to Expect
|Cub Cadet Xt1 Enduro Series|
|Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542|
- 1 Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower for Steep Hills
- 2 1. Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21-inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self-Propelled Lawnmower
- 3 Best Push Lawn Mowers for Hills
- 4 2. Honda HRX217K5VKA 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn Mower with Clip Director and Micro Cut Blades 660250
- 5 3. Husqvarna 7021P 21-Inch 160cc Honda GCV160 Gas Powered 3-N-1 Push Lawn Mower with High Rear Wheels (CARB Compliant)
- 6 Best Riding Lawn Mowers for Hills
- 7 4. Cub Cadet Xt1 Enduro Series Lt 42 In. 18 Hp Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-engine Riding Mower
- 8 Best Garden Tractor for Hills
- 9 5. Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542 18.5 hp Tractor Mower, 42″
Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower for Steep Hills
1. Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21-inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self-Propelled Lawnmower
Best Push Lawn Mowers for Hills
2. Honda HRX217K5VKA 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn Mower with Clip Director and Micro Cut Blades 660250
3. Husqvarna 7021P 21-Inch 160cc Honda GCV160 Gas Powered 3-N-1 Push Lawn Mower with High Rear Wheels (CARB Compliant)
Best Riding Lawn Mowers for Hills
4. Cub Cadet Xt1 Enduro Series Lt 42 In. 18 Hp Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-engine Riding Mower
Best Garden Tractor for Hills
5. Husqvarna 960430211 YTA18542 18.5 hp Tractor Mower, 42″
Lawn mowers can be equally efficient even on slightly steep hills. The budget for a lawn mower is more friendly and accommodating to most people. If your hills are not more than 15 degrees steep, you need not invest in an expensive hill mower. With a little research and consulting, you should find your best lawn mower for hills.
- Best Zero Turn Mower for The Money
- Best Commercial Zero Turn Mower
- Best Riding Lawn Mower for The Money
- Small Riding Lawn Mowers
Meet the Author
Greetings, I'm Oliver! My love for garden and DIY projects started since I was in my twenties. Wonderland Gardens is my 'digital land' where I talk about everything garden and home improvement.Learn more