🍂BEST [5+] backpack leaf blower 2018 reviews [for pros & home]✅
Frank H. Knight once said,
- 1 “Never waste any time you can spend sleeping”
- 2 The Best Backpack Leaf Blowers: Quick Comparison
- 3 Best Backpack Leaf Blower Reviews
- 4 HOW DO YOU CHOOSE THE BEST BACKPACK LEAF BLOWER?
- 4.1 What are Backpack Leaf Blowers?
- 4.2 Types of Backpack Leaf Blowers
- 4.3 Maintenance Tips
- 4.4 Some Top Market Brands
- 4.5 Husqvarna
- 4.6 Stihl
- 4.7 Why do you need one?
- 4.8 They have limitations too!
- 4.9 Choosing the Best Backpack Leaf Blower?
- 4.10 Important Features of a Backpack Leaf Blower
- 4.11 To Buy or Not to Buy a Used Backpack Leaf Blower
- 4.12 When should you not buy a used backpack leaf blower?
- 4.13 Frequently Asked Questions about Backpack Leaf Blowers
“Never waste any time you can spend sleeping”
Clearing your yard can either be daunting and time consuming or easy, fun and time saving. It all depends on the tool you will opt to put to task. From a crop duster powered by gas, snow blower, backpack power mist sprayer, walk behind vacuum/ leaf blower, to the leaf-loading machine, we now have a tool for the fallen leaves lying around our yards and driveways. What’s more, the evolution of the backpack leaf blower and other garden power tools doesn’t end there. It gets better every time. Thanks to technology we can now save our effort to rest. This is because the backpack leaf blower comes as the much needed time and energy saver when it comes to clearing our yards.
Backpack leaf blowers are preferred for their efficiency and ability to perform fast and produce sparkling clean results. They offer the best when it comes to clearing large volumes of leaves on vast spaces like corridors, lawns and large yards. They are easy to operate and require less effort since gas powers them.
The Best Backpack Leaf Blowers: Quick Comparison
|Backpack Leaf Blower||Price||CFM (Cubic Ft Per Meter)||MPH (Miles per Hour)||CC - Cubic Centimeters||Weight||Engine Type|
|Husqvarna 350BT Backpack Leaf Blower||692.17CFM||180MPH||50.2CC||22.5 pounds||2-Cycle|
|Poulan Pro 967087 101 Backpack Blower||475CFM||200MPH||48CC||22pounds||2-Stroke|
|Makita BBX7600N Backpack Leaf Blower||526CFM||195MPH||75.6CC||22.6lbs||4-Stroke|
|Troy-Bilt 32cc TB4BP Backpack Blower||500CFM||150MPH||32CC||21.8 pounds||4-Cycle|
|ECHO 234 PB -770T Backpack Blower||756 CFM rating||234MPH||63.3CC||24.3 pounds||2-Stroke|
The market is filled with different models with the promise to perform wonders for your leaf clearing activities. So what considerations should you make?
How much weight does the Backpack Leaf Blower Carry?
This depends on how much you can carry. Most blowers have a considerable weight which should balance out evenly to avoid over exertion of your back.
Do you need the standard or more expensive models?
In this industry, the price does indeed indicate what you’ll be getting. Instead of going for the cheapest models, choose the average priced ones which can last long enough to cover the cost you paid for them.
How much power do you need?
The best way to know is to consider the volume of leaves and the area you’ll be covering. A large space means plenty of leaves; hence you’ll need high power.
Best Backpack Leaf Blower Reviews
1. Husqvarna 350BT 965877502 Backpack Leaf Blower **EDITOR’S CHOICE**
Nothing beats the professional backpack leaf blower that is the Husqvarna. It fits both the demanding landscapers as well as the homeowners. It is the most versatile model we have for the backpack leaf blower reviews; as such it makes our number one spot.
As you can see, it can withstand heavy usage, thanks to the 42.27-ounce tank. Therefore, you can use it for long uninterrupted hours with the cruise control function which helps maintain the constant rate of the blowers speed.
ECHO 234 PB -770T 765 CFM Gas Backpack Blower
For more power when blowing away those leaves from your backyard, you’ll want to consider the ECHO 234. It has unique features which represent both comfort and dependability. It is gas-powered and generates high Cubic Feet Per Meter (CFM) ratings of up to 756. This means that you can move even the twigs which threaten to make your yard unsightly.
With a speed of 234 miles per hour (MPH), it’s evident you’ll take no time clearing a large space. It is designed to handle heavy usage so you can rely on it to tackle most yard cleaning tasks in your home. Use it for large areas because it performs faster than conventional backpack leaf blowers.
Poulan Pro 48CC 967087 101 Backpack Blower
When you are in the market to purchase the best backpack leaf blower, the Poulan Pro might just be exactly what you are looking for. It is a heavy duty design to fit many applications including small lawns or large yards. If you have a backyard which needs constant cleaning, this is the most useful backpack leaf blower yet.
When it comes to the working speed, it operates at 200miles per hour so you can work faster and finish tasks early. It makes for one of the best gas backpack leaf blowers because of its strength and the CFM volume ratings at 475. The engine power stands at 48CC. This is a great product to invest in, for its unique residential property application. It can withstand full usage if you are going to be using it several times a week.
Makita 75.6CC BBX7600N 4-Stroke Backpack Leaf Blower
If you own a commercial property such as a hotel, or you have a large garden, the Makita 4-Stroke 75.6CC is for you. It has a higher power and the strength to pull off most heavy duty jobs.
With a robust construction, it can withstand the abuse that comes with clearing vast spaces.
The automatic engine comes in handy when you don’t have the patience to wait long when booting the motor. You’ll appreciate the mechanical decompression on the engine which allows for quick startups.
Troy-Bilt 32cc TB4BP Backpack Blower
It’s amazing when you find a blower which fits the budget and is suitable for your home. Troy-Bilt Backpack Blower has a design to work on small to medium volumes of leaves.
It is one of the blowers with the most subtle weight at only 21.8 pounds. This is ideal if you don’t have that bulldozer frame, which means it shall not render your muscles sore and fatigued after some hours of work.
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE THE BEST BACKPACK LEAF BLOWER?
This is where a headache begins with all the models available. You can’t really know where to look if you’ve never owned one before. If it’s your first time venturing the market, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
What are Backpack Leaf Blowers?
These are garden maintenance tools powered by gasoline or electric motors to produce wind energy which propels leaves, debris and other kinds of trash from a lawn or yard. For a backpack leaf blower, it is mounted on the back and uses a handle to direct the motion of the propelled air when clearing.
The primary purpose is to remove plenty of leaves and debris in the shortest time. One uses less energy as opposed to the traditional rake and broom method. They are efficient in that you don’t need to cover the same area twice. Other applications include;
- Cleaning the gutter
- Clearing ice on pavements and on cars
- Clean other farm equipment
- Dry water paddles on pavements
Types of Backpack Leaf Blowers
The classification depends on a few properties which we’re going to look at:
- 2-Stroke vs. 4-Stroke Engine Backpack Leaf Blower
You will probably come across these two names in your search. A 2-stroke engine blower uses a mixture of both oil and gas and oil to run. They have a few functions and are much cheaper than their 4-stroke counterparts. They are also lighter in weight and offer more power. However, they are noisy and have high emission ratings.
The 4-stroke engine blowers are heavier because they have two compartments to input the oil and fuel separately. This means many parts are running. Many manufacturers have however, found out a clever way to keep the weight down through the padded hip belt to distribute the weight evenly on your back. They are also more fuel efficient as they rely on the combustion ratio which keeps them running at the correct fuel level.
- Commercial vs. Residential Backpack Leaf Blowers
Although the manufacturer does not state where their leaf blower falls, you will either find one which fits a residential purpose or commercial usage. Those blowers with lower cubic centimeters (CC) indicate low usage while those with high CC show they can accommodate heavy duty cleaning.
The routine you take on caring for your backpack leaf blower will determine its longevity and reliability in the long run. So how do you keep your leaf blower in perfect shape?
- Gas/Oil Mixture
The best thing you could do for your equipment is to read your manual on this one. You won’t have to guess on what to input in the tank. For the 2-cycle engines, mix the fuel in the recommended amounts; normally it’s in the ratio 40:1 gas to oil. And, ensure the gas has the least amount of ethanol less than 10% works great. Also, remember to do a monthly fresh refill and use an oils stabilizer if you are not going to use the machine for a while.
- Have a monthly check of the Air Filter
This is to ensure there are no clogged areas before you start the machine. The primer bulb will work correctly to guide you on the status of the air filters. Clean it with warm water and use some very light oil on it to keep it functioning properly before storing. Always make a point of replacing it when necessary.
- Clean the blower after use
Make sure you store your blower in a clean condition. You can use a brush and a damp cloth for an easy cleaning job. Also, check for wear and tear as you return it to its storage space and ensure it is ventilated.
- Never leave your blower outside. It is dangerous as the fuel may ignite due to the outside elements.
Some Top Market Brands
ECHO is a USA brand that manufactures its products within the country. It began its operations as far back as the 80s and has up to date managed to maintain its leaf blower’s line of product to meet current market standards. They offer a wide range of backpack and handheld blowers that feature comfort, power, low weight and sound reduction.
The Husqvarna range of backpack leaf blowers targets both the residential and commercial users. Quite distinctly, these blowers are inclined to ergonomics. Of important interest is their Low Vib® technology that minimizes vibrations through dampeners that absorb vibrations to ease fatigue and strain on the back and shoulders. They are lightweight and adjustable too, features that users greatly appreciate.
Stihl is yet another trusted leaf blower brand known for its premium products. It focuses on professional gas blowers and electric models targeting the high end market. Stihl backpack leaf blowers feature high power and speed ideal for heavy duty tasks.
Why do you need one?
- The design of a backpack blower reduces the strain you would experience in your arms as is the case with the handhelds. Instead, it spreads its weight on your back and shoulders enabling you to work longer yet with less fatigue.
- With a backpack leaf blower, it takes you less time to clear your yard compared to how long it would take you to perform the same task using a handheld leaf blower.
- A backpack leaf blower is ideal for larger yards as they come with more power and performance. This is in fact the reason why professional landscapers prefer having them. Again they are less bulky compared to the commercial gas powered walk behind leaf blowers.
- These leaf blowers are powerful enough to perform other tasks therefore if you need a versatile tool, this one it is.
They have limitations too!
- The highest cost attached to the backpack leaf blowers is the cost of gasoline. Furthermore, the cost of gas is subject to fluctuation and this you will have to keep up with.
- You need to keep an ample supply of gasoline so that your task is not interrupted midway because you have run out of gas. Some find the process of refilling a bit cumbersome.
Choosing the Best Backpack Leaf Blower?
To make the right choice when selecting a backpack leaf blower, here are some factors that you will need to consider.
- Weight: Backpack leaf blowers weigh a minimum of 17-24 lbs which is about twice as much weight as the handhelds. Good news, this weight will evenly be spread on your back and shoulders which makes them easy to operate.
- Speed: Speed measured in MPH is how fast air comes through the nozzle. Speed is also measured in cubic feet per minute (cfm) which refers to the volume of air that leaves the nozzle every minute. Along with the engine power, this determines the efficiency of your tool. Of great importance is the ability to adjust speeds depending on the situation and location in your yard. Look for a blower with variable throttle for speed regulation.
- Noise Level: Most leaf blowers will come with a noise level rating in decibels (dBa) indicated on their label. The lower the noise level the better for you however, the most powerful gas leaf blowers typically produce more noise.
- Gas Emissions: Always go for a model that is CARB compliant. This means that it meets the carbon footprint standards set for such tools in order to minimize carbon emission into the air which is considered not safe for the environment.
- Design: An ergonomic design is obviously a top concern for many users. You need a backpack leaf blower that evenly spreads its weight on your back. Secondly, the handle straps need to have a soft padding to give you comfort throughout its operation. An adjustable handle is also a comfort feature that accommodates your hand height for a comfortable working position.
Important Features of a Backpack Leaf Blower
- Nozzle: Flat or round. Loose light leaves and debris are better cleared by the flat nozzles. On the other hand, you will need a rounded nozzle to clear leaves and debris that are stuck on the ground or for twigs that tend to be a little heavier.
- Shut off switch: This is an important feature as far as safety is concerned. A switch that shuts off fast and easy without a hassle will help you operate your blower well.
- Speed control: Some blowers come with a fixed speed while others come with a variable throttle for adjusting speed depending on application. The latter is the most preferred.
- Fuel Tank: A see-through fuel tank is more advantageous as it will let you check fuel levels at a glance.
- Vacuum: Rather than collect the pile of blown leaves manually for disposal, an integrated vacuum sucks the pile up and eases the disposal process. Not all models come with this feature.
- Mulcher: If you need to compost the leaves and debris pile for reuse in your garden or farm, a mulcher comes in handy. Its function is to shred the leaves into fine pieces for compost purposes.
To Buy or Not to Buy a Used Backpack Leaf Blower
The decision to buy a used leaf blower comes with some benefits and consequences too. There are always two sides of the coin. But why would anyone be interested in a pre-owned backpack leaf blower?
- They are Affordable. If on a budget and you are specific about getting a backpack blower, you will certainly go for a used one. However, it takes some serious searching and testing to land one that is not badly off. Even if used, still make sure that you get value for your money.
- Efficiency matters a lot. If you have an acre or more of yard space, you may prefer a used backpack blower over a new handheld for efficiency’s sake. You obviously want to save your energy and time by working smart cheaply.
- It is easy to replace worn out parts and end up with a blower that is as good as new. Simply clean out the carburetor or replace it if it is totally worn out. Check out parts that wear out fast like the spark plug, filters, straps and tubes. The idea here is to put it back to the best possible operating state. Maintenance plays a huge role in keeping a blower in good shape. Once all these parts are in good working condition, you can do your blower justice by maintaining it well.
When should you not buy a used backpack leaf blower?
- When the cost of purchasing the used blower and replacing the worn out parts is the same as buying a brand new blower.
- Performance is the measure of a blower. If it is too old to perform, there is no point of having it.
Frequently Asked Questions about Backpack Leaf Blowers
How much speed do you need?
The normal indications are by the miles per hour MPH number. The bigger the number, the higher the speed; it means your general purpose should guide you on the choice you make. You’ll need high speed for heavy duty commercial tasks.
What does CFM mean?
It stands for the Cubic feet per meter. This indication refers to the furthest area it can cover when it’s blowing at highest speed. It shows the volume of trash you can clear as per the power you subject it. Large properties need higher CFM than residential homes.
What else should I carry when using a Backpack Leaf Blower?
You’ll probably need safety glasses and ear plugs. Gasoline powered blowers emit a loud noise. Even those with the least indications, it is unavoidable as they run an engine. The safety glasses will come in handy to protect your eyes from the blowing sticks and debris
What comfort level should you expect?
You should be able to move freely, and the handle should be flexible enough to enable access. Consider the weight of the blower so that you know what expect from the blower you purchase.
Why do you need a Variable Speed Trigger?
A speed trigger enables one to make customized blowing so you can clear different types of trash in the most convenient manner.
Choosing a backpack leaf blower is a personal choice. It depends on many factors, but there’s always one which meets your fit whether it’s on the budget or the requirements.
It’s imperative that you pay attention to the air flow, your comfort, and the reliability. We hope with the useful information above you can make an informed choice.
Greetings, I'm Oliver! My love for garden and DIY projects started since I was in my twenties. Wonderland Gardens is my 'digital land' where I talk about everything garden and home improvement. Write to me at [email protected]Learn more