BEST Backpack Leaf Blower 2017/2018 Reviews – [Read Before Buying]
- 1 The Best Backpack Leaf Blowers: Quick Comparison
- 2 Best Backpack Leaf Blower Reviews
- 3 HOW DO YOU CHOOSE THE BEST BACKPACK LEAF BLOWER?
- 3.1 What are Backpack Leaf Blowers?
- 3.2 Types of Backpack Leaf Blowers
- 3.3 Maintenance Tips
- 3.4 Some Top Market Brands
- 3.5 Husqvarna
- 3.6 Stihl
- 3.7 Why do you need one?
- 3.8 They have limitations too!
- 3.9 Choosing the Best Backpack Leaf Blower?
- 3.10 Important Features of a Backpack Leaf Blower
- 3.11 Frequently Asked Questions about Backpack Leaf Blowers
So your yard is filled with leaves, twigs, and debris after winter? And, you are armed with a rake and broom? Come on let’s be practical, it will take you hours, leaving you fatigued and you might not do such a great job. Grab the best backpack leaf blower and be on your way to a better, cleaner yard with less effort and time used.
Backpack leaf blowers are preferred for their efficiency and ability to perform fast and produce sparkling clean results. They offer the best when it comes to clearing large volumes of leaves on vast spaces like corridors, lawns and large yards. They are easy to operate, and they require less effort since gas powers them.
The Best Backpack Leaf Blowers: Quick Comparison
|Backpack Leaf Blower||Price||CFM (Cubic Ft Per Meter)||MPH (Miles per Hour)||CC - Cubic Centimeters||Weight||Engine Type|
|Husqvarna 350BT Backpack Leaf Blower||692.17CFM||180MPH||50.2CC||22.5 pounds||2-Cycle|
|Poulan Pro 967087 101 Backpack Blower||475CFM||200MPH||48CC||22pounds||2-Stroke|
|Makita BBX7600N Backpack Leaf Blower||526CFM||195MPH||75.6CC||22.6lbs||4-Stroke|
|Troy-Bilt 32cc TB4BP Backpack Blower||500CFM||150MPH||32CC||21.8 pounds||4-Cycle|
|ECHO 234 PB -770T Backpack Blower||756 CFM rating||234MPH||63.3CC||24.3 pounds||2-Stroke|
The market is filled with different models with the promise to perform wonders for your leaf clearing activities. So what considerations should you make?
How much weight does the Backpack Leaf Blower Carry?
This depends on how much you can carry. Most blowers have a considerable weight which should balance out evenly to avoid over exertion of your back.
Do you need the standard or more expensive models?
In this industry, the price does indeed indicate what you’ll be getting. Instead of going for the cheapest models, choose the average priced ones which can last long enough to cover the cost you paid for them.
How much power do you need?
The best way to know is to consider the volume of leaves and the area you’ll be covering. A large space means plenty of leaves; hence you’ll need high power.
Best Backpack Leaf Blower Reviews
1. Husqvarna 350BT 965877502 Backpack Leaf Blower **EDITOR’S CHOICE**
2. ECHO 234 PB -770T 765 CFM Gas Backpack Blower
3. Poulan Pro 48CC 967087 101 Backpack Blower
4. Makita 75.6CC BBX7600N 4-Stroke Backpack Leaf Blower
4. Troy-Bilt 32cc TB4BP Backpack Blower
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE THE BEST BACKPACK LEAF BLOWER?
This is where a headache begins with all the models available. You can’t really know where to look if you’ve never owned one before. If it’s your first time venturing the market, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
What are Backpack Leaf Blowers?
These are garden maintenance tools powered by gasoline or electric motors to produce wind energy which propels leaves, debris and other kinds of trash from a lawn or yard. For a backpack leaf blower, it is mounted on the back and uses a handle to direct the motion of the propelled air when clearing.
The primary purpose is to remove plenty of leaves and debris in the shortest time. One uses less energy as opposed to the traditional rake and broom method. They are efficient in that you don’t need to cover the same area twice. Other applications include;
- Cleaning the gutter
- Clearing ice on pavements and on cars
- Clean other farm equipment
- Dry water paddles on pavements
Types of Backpack Leaf Blowers
The classification depends on a few properties which we’re going to look at:
- 2-Stroke vs. 4-Stroke Engine Backpack Leaf Blower
You will probably come across these two names in your search. A 2-stroke engine blower uses a mixture of both oil and gas and oil to run. They have a few functions and are much cheaper than their 4-stroke counterparts. They are also lighter in weight and offer more power. However, they are noisy and have high emission ratings.
The 4-stroke engine blowers are heavier because they have two compartments to input the oil and fuel separately. This means many parts are running. Many manufacturers have however, found out a clever way to keep the weight down through the padded hip belt to distribute the weight evenly on your back. They are also more fuel efficient as they rely on the combustion ratio which keeps them running at the correct fuel level.
- Commercial vs. Residential Backpack Leaf Blowers
Although the manufacturer does not state where their leaf blower falls, you will either find one which fits a residential purpose or commercial usage. Those blowers with lower cubic centimeters (CC) indicate low usage while those with high CC show they can accommodate heavy duty cleaning.
The routine you take on caring for your backpack leaf blower will determine its longevity and reliability in the long run. So how do you keep your leaf blower in perfect shape?
- Gas/Oil Mixture
The best thing you could do for your equipment is to read your manual on this one. You won’t have to guess on what to input in the tank. For the 2-cycle engines, mix the fuel in the recommended amounts; normally it’s in the ratio 40:1 gas to oil. And, ensure the gas has the least amount of ethanol less than 10% works great. Also, remember to do a monthly fresh refill and use an oils stabilizer if you are not going to use the machine for a while.
- Have a monthly check of the Air Filter
This is to ensure there are no clogged areas before you start the machine. The primer bulb will work correctly to guide you on the status of the air filters. Clean it with warm water and use some very light oil on it to keep it functioning properly before storing. Always make a point of replacing it when necessary.
- Clean the blower after use
Make sure you store your blower in a clean condition. You can use a brush and a damp cloth for an easy cleaning job. Also, check for wear and tear as you return it to its storage space and ensure it is ventilated.
- Never leave your blower outside. It is dangerous as the fuel may ignite due to the outside elements.
Some Top Market Brands
ECHO is a USA brand that manufactures its products within the country. It began its operations as far back as the 80s and has up to date managed to maintain its leaf blower’s line of product to meet current market standards. They offer a wide range of backpack and handheld blowers that feature comfort, power, low weight and sound reduction.
The Husqvarna range of backpack leaf blowers targets both the residential and commercial users. Quite distinctly, these blowers are inclined to ergonomics. Of important interest is their Low Vib® technology that minimizes vibrations through dampeners that absorb vibrations to ease fatigue and strain on the back and shoulders. They are lightweight and adjustable too, features that users greatly appreciate.
Stihl is yet another trusted leaf blower brand known for its premium products. It focuses on professional gas blowers and electric models targeting the high end market. Stihl backpack leaf blowers feature high power and speed ideal for heavy duty tasks.
Why do you need one?
- The design of a backpack blower reduces the strain you would experience in your arms as is the case with the handhelds. Instead, it spreads its weight on your back and shoulders enabling you to work longer yet with less fatigue.
- With a backpack leaf blower, it takes you less time to clear your yard compared to how long it would take you to perform the same task using a handheld leaf blower.
- A backpack leaf blower is ideal for larger yards as they come with more power and performance. This is in fact the reason why professional landscapers prefer having them. Again they are less bulky compared to the commercial gas powered walk behind leaf blowers.
- These leaf blowers are powerful enough to perform other tasks therefore if you need a versatile tool, this one it is.
They have limitations too!
- The highest cost attached to the backpack leaf blowers is the cost of gasoline. Furthermore, the cost of gas is subject to fluctuation and this you will have to keep up with.
- You need to keep an ample supply of gasoline so that your task is not interrupted midway because you have run out of gas. Some find the process of refilling a bit cumbersome.
Choosing the Best Backpack Leaf Blower?
To make the right choice when selecting a backpack leaf blower, here are some factors that you will need to consider.
- Weight: Backpack leaf blowers weigh a minimum of 17-24 lbs which is about twice as much weight as the handhelds. Good news, this weight will evenly be spread on your back and shoulders which makes them easy to operate.
- Speed: Speed measured in MPH is how fast air comes through the nozzle. Speed is also measured in cubic feet per minute (cfm) which refers to the volume of air that leaves the nozzle every minute. Along with the engine power, this determines the efficiency of your tool. Of great importance is the ability to adjust speeds depending on the situation and location in your yard. Look for a blower with variable throttle for speed regulation.
- Noise Level: Most leaf blowers will come with a noise level rating in decibels (dBa) indicated on their label. The lower the noise level the better for you however, the most powerful gas leaf blowers typically produce more noise.
- Gas Emissions: Always go for a model that is CARB compliant. This means that it meets the carbon footprint standards set for such tools in order to minimize carbon emission into the air which is considered not safe for the environment.
- Design: An ergonomic design is obviously a top concern for many users. You need a backpack leaf blower that evenly spreads its weight on your back. Secondly, the handle straps need to have a soft padding to give you comfort throughout its operation. An adjustable handle is also a comfort feature that accommodates your hand height for a comfortable working position.
Important Features of a Backpack Leaf Blower
- Nozzle: Flat or round. Loose light leaves and debris are better cleared by the flat nozzles. On the other hand, you will need a rounded nozzle to clear leaves and debris that are stuck on the ground or for twigs that tend to be a little heavier.
- Shut off switch: This is an important feature as far as safety is concerned. A switch that shuts off fast and easy without a hassle will help you operate your blower well.
- Speed control: Some blowers come with a fixed speed while others come with a variable throttle for adjusting speed depending on application. The latter is the most preferred.
- Fuel Tank: A see-through fuel tank is more advantageous as it will let you check fuel levels at a glance.
- Vacuum: Rather than collect the pile of blown leaves manually for disposal, an integrated vacuum sucks the pile up and eases the disposal process. Not all models come with this feature.
- Mulcher: If you need to compost the leaves and debris pile for reuse in your garden or farm, a mucher comes in handy. Its function is to shred the leaves into fine pieces for compost purposes.
Frequently Asked Questions about Backpack Leaf Blowers
How much speed do you need?
The normal indications are by the miles per hour MPH number. The bigger the number, the higher the speed; it means your general purpose should guide you on the choice you make. You’ll need high speed for heavy duty commercial tasks.
What does CFM mean?
It stands for the Cubic feet per meter. This indication refers to the furthest area it can cover when it’s blowing at highest speed. It shows the volume of trash you can clear as per the power you subject it. Large properties need higher CFM than residential homes.
What else should I carry when using a Backpack Leaf Blower?
You’ll probably need safety glasses and ear plugs. Gasoline powered blowers emit a loud noise. Even those with the least indications, it is unavoidable as they run an engine. The safety glasses will come in handy to protect your eyes from the blowing sticks and debris
What comfort level should you expect?
You should be able to move freely, and the handle should be flexible enough to enable access. Consider the weight of the blower so that you know what expect from the blower you purchase.
Why do you need a Variable Speed Trigger?
A speed trigger enables one to make customized blowing so you can clear different types of trash in the most convenient manner.
Choosing a backpack leaf blower is a personal choice. It depends on many factors, but there’s always one which meets your fit whether it’s on the budget or the requirements.
It’s imperative that you pay attention to the air flow, your comfort, and the reliability. We hope with the useful information above you can make an informed choice.
Meet the Author
Greetings, I'm Oliver! My love for garden and DIY projects started since I was in my twenties. Wonderland Gardens is my 'digital land' where I talk about everything garden and home improvement.Learn more
- Airless Paint Sprayers (1)
- Axes (1)
- Backpack Leaf Blowers (1)
- Bee suits (1)
- Bird Feeders (1)
- Chainsaw Sharpeners (1)
- Chainsaws (4)
- Chipper Shredders (1)
- Cordless Leaf Blowers (1)
- Garden & Home Tools (24)
- Garden Accessories (9)
- Garden hoses (4)
- Garden Improvement (11)
- Gas Leaf Blowers (1)
- Gutter Guards (1)
- Home Improvement (26)
- Hummingbird Feeders (1)
- Lawn Edgers (1)
- Lawn Mowers (6)
- Lawn Mowers Batteries (1)
- Lawn Sweepers (1)
- Leaf Blowers (2)
- Patio Heaters (1)
- Plasma Cutters (1)
- Pocket Hose (1)
- Pole Saws (1)
- Smokers (2)
- Snow Blowers (12)
- Tile Saws (1)
- Uncategorized (3)
- Wood Routers (1)
- Zero Turn Lawn Mowers (2)
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!