Hummingbirds are cute yet elusive little birds known for their insatiable appetite for nectar. It is from their love of nectar that we can lure them to our doorsteps with specially designed feeders filled with sugary liquids.
Once you’ve done that, you are assured of a clear shot or an unparalleled view of these pretty little birds all year round. In this hummingbird feeder review, we’ve explored some of the best hummingbird feeders with which you can attract these elusive birds to your garden or deck and most importantly, make an informed decision as you make your choice.
Check out our summary table for a quick comparison of the top hummingbird feeders features and scroll down to a detailed review and information-packed buyer’s guide to help you during selection.
Hummingbird Feeder – Comparison Table
|Hummingbird Feeder||Material||Capacity||Feed Ports||Weight||Ant Moat|
|Aspects HummZinger||Polycarbonate||12 Oz||4||12.8 Ounces||Yes|
|First Nature 3055||Plastic||32 Oz||10||6.4 Ounces||No|
|Best Home Products Blown Glass, Tiffany Treat||Glass||4.5 cups||4||1.2 lbs||No|
|Best Home Products Impressions||Glass||28 Oz||4||1.2 lbs||No|
|Aspects Hummingzinger||Polycarbonate||8.8 Oz||3||1 lb||Yes|
|First Nature 3091||Polymer||16 Oz||10||0.55 lbs||Yes|
|407 Jewel Box Window||Polycarbonate||8 Oz||3||0.55 lbs||Yes|
Best Hummingbird Feeder in 2017 Reviews
1. Aspects HummZinger 12 oz Hanging Hummingbird Feeder
Coming at just under $20, this hummingbird feeder will offer you an unobstructed view of the birds with its HighView perch.
First Nature 3055 32-ounce Hummingbird Feeder
This 3055 hummingbird feeder by First Nature is made of durable polymer with 10 feeding ports. As one of the best hummingbird feeders, it has a large reservoir capable of holding 32 ounces of nectar.
3. Best Home Products Blown Glass Hummingbird Feeder
Don’t you just love it when you don’t have to struggle to attract birds to your feeder? This hummingbird feeder is designed to attract birds rather naturally thanks to its attractive multi-colored trunk.
4. Hummingbird Feeder with Perch
This multicolored hummingbird feeder shares a lot of characteristics with its predecessor above. Among the distinct features it comes with are four ports, each with a separate perch of its own which again is ideal for territorial birds. Colors are known to attract birds and this one has achieved this quite well.
HummZinger is among the smallest hummingbird feeder troughs, with product dimensions of 7.5 x 2 x 6.9 inches and lightweight of 8 ounces.
First Nature 3091 16-Ounce Hummingbird Flower Feeder
First Nature is a beautifully designed hummingbird feeder whose red color and yellow feeding flower ports is sure to seduce all hummingbirds within your locale.
Aspects 407 Jewel Box Window Hummingbird Feeder
This hummingbird feeder has a bright red cover to attract the birds which then feed on any of the three evenly spaced ports.
Our Favorite Hummingbird Feeder!
Our best pick goes top Aspects HummZinger 12 Oz feeder which has been detailed with functionalities both for you and your hummingbirds.
An outstanding feature about Aspects products in general is their ease of cleaning and filling coupled with this units 12 Oz capacity, you’ll certainly attract not more or less but just enough Hummingbirds to keep you entertained all through. Additionally, feeding ports are conveniently designed at the top of the feeder which is good for the birds as well as eliminating leaking of nectar.
Best Hummingbird Feeders- Buyers Guide
Hummingbird feeders are devices used for feeding hummingbirds. Bird food is placed in them and then the feeder is strategically positioned outside where the birds can easily access the food.
The common hummingbird food includes nectar, sugar, honey, and insects. Such a variety of food will make your backyard a one stop shopping point for the birds. Because these tiny little birds are known to have an exceptional memory and a high metabolism rate, it is easy to attract them to your feeder; however you might just need to put in some extra effort to keep them.
But why do you need Bird feeders in your backyard? Well, to have a glimpse an utterly natural entertainment session just the way you like it by watching the hummer if you like, through a webcam or live. What more, you will be providing them with food and a habitat in the process.
History of Hummingbird Feeders
In 1950, the Audubon Novelty Company, New York introduced the first hummingbird feeder to the market. Although it was a simple design of a glass tube it gained popularity in the U.S. Laurence Webster from Boston came up with the design which was made by a glassblower at MIT.
However, his initial intention was to present it as a gift to his wife but as it turned out, this would be the innovation the world was waiting for. This supposed gift marked the beginning of the many hummingbird feeder designs we see in the market today.
Since then, we have had a variety, of designs made up of plastic, glass, ceramic or a blend of all the materials.
Types of Hummingbird Feeders
- Basin style design – also known as flying saucers, these feeders resemble a bowl covered with a lid on which holes have been bored in the name of ports, so that hummers can have their feed.
- Inverted bottle design – as their name suggests, these are literally bottles that have been turned upside-down and attached to a base with ports from which the hummers will feed.
Other interesting Hummingbird Feeder Uses
- Home for hummingbirds–The natural home for the hummingbirds is slowly but steadily being eroded by the constant city development. Therefore, your backyard with suitably, positioned and well-designed feeders acts as the only home for these birds
- Live entertainment– The scenery of the feeding hummingbirds is a source of entertainment in itself. The hovering eight pattern figure the bird creates by flapping its wings, its ability to stop still while flying at high speed, the vibrations hum generated by their wings are some actions that offer full and natural entertainment. Some people set their webcam in a position where they can watch such movements on a big screen while relaxing.
- Lessons in daily life-the hummingbirds provide many lessons to the human family. For instance, the uncommon hovering pattern of figure eight signify infinity, and thus teaching the lesson that we should not be deterred by our past but should focus on the future, the vibrating hum produced by the light wings of the birds symbolize the understated power of the light wings and remind us to cheer up when over budded with life problems.
The importance of Owning a Hummingbird Feeder
With a hummingbird feeder, you can gain a lot besides feeding the birds.
- Buying a hummingbird feeder improves consumer spending. Relaxing at home just to watch the hummers hover in front of the feeder and near you helps reduce the driving costs and minimize the emission of greenhouse gases.
- Hummingbirds eliminate pests from your garden- hummingbirds feed on insects, therefore, the presence of these birds at your backyard implies that you no longer need to buy pesticides.
- These feeders also provide hummers with an alternative source of food in the form of water and nectar stored in the feeder.
Best Hummingbird Feeder Brands and why they are liked
Perky –Pet brand products are perhaps the most known products in the industry of bird feeding. Their history in bird feeding since 1958 has made them experts in the production of bird feeders.
The Perky-Pet hummingbird feeders are of high quality including the bird feeder accessories. This attracts the bird hobbyists since their demands are addressed.
First Nature started in the year 2001 but it has tremendously grown. The company produces the bestselling hummingbird feeders that are unique with designs that are meant to attract the birds and make it easy to feed them. Additionally, First Nature also produces waterers, ready-made nectar, and most of the accessories
Factors to Consider When Selecting the Best Hummingbird Feeder
With the existence of a variety of modern designs, you need to choose a hummingbird feeder that will attract the most number of hummers to your backyard. Here are some of the factors to consider when selecting the best hummingbird feeder.
- Perching option– choose a feeder with a perch. Usually, Hummingbirds hover over a flower when feeding, but a restful position will make them suck more nectar until they are full.
- Color– naturally, most nectar flowers are pink, red, or coral. These conspicuous colors serve to attract birds. Hence the feeder should be one of these colors. Red is most preferred.
- Bottle reservoir– inverted bottle feeders are more preferred to the flying saucer feeders as they have an ability to guard the bird’s food against any infection from insects or bacteria. Thus the health of the hummingbird is taken care of.
- Cleaning– choose a feeder that will give you an easy time cleaning, disassembling, and refilling since you will need to do this every four days or more frequently when the weather is hot.
- Features like ant moats and bee guards – Ants and bees can easily detect nectar and the next thing is they will arrive in crowds. The challenge is that once they access the nectar, they will have contaminated it so you would want to consider keeping them at bay.
- Feeder Materials – the most common materials these feeders are made of are glass or polycarbonate. While some will opt for glass for its ease of cleaning and doesn’t rust, others will go for the easy-to-handle polycarbonate material that won’t break.
Important Hummingbird Feeder Accessories
- Port and Bee Guard Brush
This is a double-sided mini brush with nylon bristles that cleans all the crevices making the feeder sparkling and attractive to birds.
- Anti-Ant Guard
This anti-ant guard keeps off any ant from accessing nectar thanks to the deep indentation at the base with a sticky matter.
- Swirl Weather Guard- Yellow
This weather guard keeps the hummers from direct sunshine and from rain and snow. Thus attracting the birds to your backyard all through the year.
This guard has a galvanized weather resistant steel that slides down to avoid squirrels and raccoons from reaching the birds through the pole.
Taking Care of Your Feeder
- Clean once a month- The feeder should be thoroughly cleaned at least once a week or after every three days during hot weather. Do not use soap as the hummers do not like the smell instead use a quarter cup of bleach with sufficient water
- Suspend on a firm attachment– Suspend the hummingbird feeder to a strong attachment to avoid both its damage and that of the bird.
- Non-dripping feeders-Keep pests such as bees, wasps, bats and ants away by choosing feeders that do not drip. Feeders with moats prevent the ants from accessing the nectar. Install all guards against the different types of pests to keep your feeder in good condition of usefulness.
- Keeping Bees and Ants Away from your Feeder- Check that you have positioned your feeder in a place where ants or bees cannot access it. If this happens you’ll have to move the feederDon’t worry about the hummers finding it, they’ll certainly do.Alternatively you can consider taking care of the bees by providing them their own place and feed so they don’t have to swarm the hummingbird feeder.Cleaning your feeder is the way to go because ants will hardly detect clean feeders rid of leaking nectar.A fishing line apparently is a good feeder suspension as ants and other insects will not climb it easily.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have finally purchased a feeder to attract hummers, where should I hang it?
Place it anywhere in the open in your yard, but try to keep it away from the sun and wind which may cause the nectar to go bad fast or the feeder to turn, spilling the nectar.
What is birdscaping?
Birdscaping refers to the process of creating an enticing environment for the hummers in your yard. Consider the following:
- Get a feeder with perches or select a spot with trees and shrubs to give the hummers a more natural environment.
- Water in the form of a bath is a plus in your yard, birds love water baths more than you can imagine.
- Get a feeder that will give the birds an easy access to nectar yet still keep away ants and other insects. In this case look out for ant moat and bee guard features
- Have flowers around your yard, specifically those with nectar that the hummers love.
What should I put in a hummingbird feeder for the hummers to feed on?
Hummingbirds mostly feed on nectar. You can either buy readymade hummingbird nectar from the stores or fix it yourself from home. Brands like CentiMom, EzNectar, Perky-Pet, Bird’s Choice and First Nature produce quality nectar for the little hummers.
If you decide to fix it yourself, simply mix 1 part of cane granulated sugar to 4 parts of boiling water and stir until all of it is dilute then let it cool.
However, take care not to use honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, food color, or any artificial flavors in the hummer’s food as these will affect their health. Additionally, do not serve it hot, let the nectar cool before you can put it in the feeder.
How do you clean a hummingbird feeder?
Sugary solutions like nectar ferment very fast due to active yeast growth therefore cleanliness for your birdfeeder is essential.
Mold and bacteria are very harmful to hummingbirds. Extremely high temperatures of 86+ degrees Celsius will require a daily clean otherwise clean it every 3-5 days in hot temperatures and once a week in cool temperatures.
The best hummingbird feeders are detachable so that it is easy to take it apart and clean it. In this case every cleaning session requires that you take the feeder apart, boil it if it is made of metal or glass but not plastic. If the nectar was contaminated, sterilize the feeder with a little bleach then rinse it thoroughly.
How do you keep a hummingbird feeder and nectar from freezing?
Winter months are definitely a challenge to hummers, their feeders, and keepers hence extra steps should be taken in keeping a warm environment around the hummer’s food and habitat. There are several approaches you can take to prevent freezing, these include:
- Having more than one feeder gives you the option of interchanging them. Bring in the frozen one inside to warm it up as you take the other out.
- Snow and ice can’t stick on domes; use one around your feeder to keep off ice and snow.
- Insulation works well with the feeders. Certain fabrics are really good insulators, wrap these around your feeder.
- Attach hand warmers or heat tapes to keep your feeder and nectar warm and keep them from freezing.
- Clamp-on/ clip-on shop/ work light or even holiday lights next to, around or below your feeder.
Alternatively, you can get a heated feeder, that’s designed to keep the feeder and nectar warm through winter. A good example is the Hummers Heated Delight.
How often should you change a hummingbird feeder?
With good handling and maintenance, a hummingbird feeder can last your years. However because accidents are inevitable, parts can be broken or damaged which many times will cause nectar to leak out of it. If its stopper is split you should be able to replace it. However, a crack at the rim of the feeder will require that you replace the feeder since such damage is almost irreparable.
Watching hummingbirds in your backyard is definably a good way of blending with nature and a pastime that cuts across all ages. Good news is that setting up a hummingbird feeder in your yard is as easy as attracting them to be a part of your world.
However you need the best feeder for your needs, and we hope that out hummingbird feeders reviews and buyers guide above has given you some valuable insight to help you during selection. A bed of wildflowers especially those with nectar that the little hummers love will be a great addition their new habitat. Don’t forget the importance of color red as well as perches in a hummer’s life.
Oliver is my name. Passionate about gardens, home improvement, diy, and a lot of interesting thing.
Wonderland Gardens is my family's project - here we review the best gardening and home improvement products that will help people achieve the home of their dreams.
Latest posts by Oliver (see all)
- Best Snow Shovel Reviews in 2017 – Winter is Coming! - May 24, 2017
- Toro Snow Blower Reviews – Top 3 Models – Must READ - May 22, 2017
- Cub Cadet Snow Blower Reviews in 2017 – Winter is Coming! - May 20, 2017